Teen chef and food justice advocate Michael Platt’s Recipes for Change “beautifully weaves together important Black history with delicious recipes” (Kwame Onwuachi, James Beard Award winner and Top Chef contestant)—featuring full-color illustrations by Alleanna Harris.
From the Montgomery bus boycott to the Black Lives Matter movement, food has played a vital role in strengthening and shaping Black empowerment. Join Michael Platt on a stunning visual journey as he retells moving and authentic accounts of 12 months in Black history. Featuring mouthwatering recipes accompanied by biographies of important figures, Recipes for Change will inspire leaders of the future with real stories of trailblazers who helped to change the world.
- The Black Panther Party’s Creamy Grits
- The Greensboro Sit-In’s Cherry Protest Pie
- The Selma March’s Carry-On Cornbread
- The Underground Railroad’s Freedom Fish
- The Freedom Riders’ Gumbo
- Juneteenth’s Red Ice Pops
- Bakers Against Racism’s Sweet Potato Hand Pie
- Martin Luther King’s Favorite Pecan Pie
- Paschal’s Fried Chicken
- The Black Power Salute’s Olympic Gold Cookies
- The Christmas Sacrifice’s Banana Pudding
- The Montgomery Bus Boycott’s Pound Cake
“Beautifully weaves together important Black history with delicious recipes.”Kwame Onwuachi, James Beard Award winner and Top Chef contestant
"This upbeat offering effectively combines African American culture, civil rights history, and simple recipes that celebrate Black cuisine. Equally attractive for home or school kitchens, this fresh take reinforces history lessons through the magic of food."