Employment at ABRAMS
ABRAMS seeks talented individuals with a strong interest in book publishing. Individuals must be able to take initiative, be a team player and have excellent communications skills, both oral and written. Our professional positions range from editorial, graphic design, sales, marketing and publicity to finance and information technology.
To apply for a position at ABRAMS, please complete the employment application by clicking the following link, https://www.abramsbooks.com/apply
ABRAMS is currently seeking to fill the following positions:
Sales Assistant, National & Distribution Accounts
Assist the National Accounts Sales Manager with all aspects of key account management including sales to Barnes & Noble, Ingram, Bookazine, Calendar Holdings, and sales to Canada. Provide support for the Director, Museum Sales & Distribution. Day-to-day duties include preparing managers for account sales presentations, meeting strict deadlines for providing required information to accounts, and answering customer service requests.
- Assist in sales prep for numerous key national accounts including creation of PowerPoint presentations and the creation of Edelweiss collections.
- Support the management of all aspects of growing distribution client list, including inputting title information, collecting and coordinating selling materials, prepare and maintain seasonal grids, etc.
- Support Canadian commission reps (20 total) as well as assist with Canadian sales conference preparation
- Manage freelance workers with the creation of sales mock-ups
- Process school and library orders
- Process all event orders for distribution clients
- Support sales to select key museum stores
- Compile sales figures and marketing information for weekly reports and meetings
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience. Previous publishing or bookstore experience a plus
- Must be organized and detail oriented with ability to handle multiple projects at one time.
- Excellent prioritizing skills and judgment
- Excellent English oral and written skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, good Excel skills required
- Strong interest in working in a fast-paced sales environment
Abrams seeks a creative and responsible designer to work on both design implementation and the design process to ensure smooth workflow across the department. This is a growth position with the potential to create an ownership role in our YA category while simultaneously working on a wide range of books from board books/picture books to middle grade, young adult, and graphic novels.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design children’s books – covering everything from board books through YA
- Will handle making corrections to reprints, preparing jacket mechanicals, and formatting files and finishes for production
- Convert sample pages/images/spreads for ibland, ppt, catalog, trade shows, etc.
- Ability to transcend the “design umbrella” and think editorially as well as consider marketing and sales angles
- BFA preferred
- Well versed in Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign.
- Ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines
- A proactive person with strong communication and collaboration skills
- Awareness of current trends in children’s illustration and design and familiarity with freelance designers and illustration agencies
- Hand-lettering and illustration skills a plus
- Desire and ability to work collaboratively, respectfully, communicatively, and enthusiastically
Marketing Manager, Children’s Marketing & Publicity
SUMMARY: The candidate will contribute to the marketing campaigns for leading franchise properties such as the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, Star Wars, and The Questioneers series by Andrea Beaty, as well as on the publishing programs with BOOM! Studios and Nickelodeon. This position will also spearhead marketing efforts for their own trade title campaigns as well.
- Plans major yearly franchise campaigns with the Director, Franchise Marketing
- Creation of marketing campaign and promotional materials needed across all trade accounts
- Oversee advertising design and placement
- Coordinate creation of digital and print marketing assets
- Seeks cost quotes and schedules from vendors
- Traffics promo items and advertising and delivers files to vendors and agencies
- Work independently to create copy for varied marketing and presentation needs
- Communication and presentation of assigned titles
- Creates content and drives strategy across DWK’S Social Media platforms and website
- Report analytics using social media listening tools, and report on relevant topics and trends
- Coordinates key Sales & Marketing Meeting agendas and maintains seasonal promo grids
- Attends some trade shows and events. Occasional travel required
- Attends key sales meetings and reviews with vendors and licensing partners
- Collaborates and communicates across numerous in-house departments, as well with brand partners and vendors
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or related field
- 3 – 4+ years in marketing [preferably in children’s books] and experience in social media and digital content creation
Knowledge and Skills
- Professional, experienced candidate who is very detail oriented
- Experience with promotional item vendors and production
- A relationship builder on all levels internally and with our licensing partners
- Superb verbal and written skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work well in a team setting
- Creative thinker able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent social media skills and content writing
- Knowledge of social media reporting tools such as Hootsuite and Google Analytics
- Computer skills, including a familiarity with Excel and PowerPoint
- Basic HTML and WordPress a plus
Managing Editorial Assistant, Adult
Work as part of the managing editorial team to produce an annual list of high-quality trade fiction, nonfiction, and illustrated books focusing on the topics of art and design, fashion, photography, entertainment, food and drink, craft and DIY, lifestyle, interior design and architecture.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the senior members of Adult Managing Editorial department in working with the Editorial, Design, and Production departments to guide books through the preproduction process
- Use Title Management Module database to set up entries for individual titles, track book data (specifications, etc.) and schedules, and update information
- Prepare, check, and track reprint corrections
- Project manage buy-in titles
- Create barcodes
- Apply for CIP data
- General administrative duties, as assigned
- Copyedit and proofread books, jackets, and marketing materials
- Provide back-up assistance to reception as scheduled
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent copyediting (on hard copy and electronically) and proofreading skills
- Working knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style
- Position requires accuracy, careful attention to detail, and the ability to work independently and follow through consistently
- Must be highly organized, energetic, and able to juggle multiple priorities efficiently and calmly
- Must be able to manage time and meet deadlines
- Must be able to work collaboratively and diplomatically across departments
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel
- Experience working on illustrated books a plus
- Familiarity with electronic markup/Acrobat Pro a plus
Adult Marketing & Publicity Intern
2 interns for 2 days/week, 14 hours total for each intern
ABRAMS seeks an organized intern to join a busy Adult Marketing and Publicity department. This assignment provides an excellent opportunity to learn about the publishing industry and to get hands-on experience working in a fast-paced environment.
The intern will work closely with both teams planning and executing national and local media campaigns and marketing plans, coordinating mailings, and assisting with everything from event planning, print and social media outreach, to media contact database management and market research.
The right candidate will have a strong interest in a career in publishing, attention to detail, exhibit a positive and energetic work ethic, and be familiar with internet research, blogs, and social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook.
Preferred Skills: We are especially interested in applicants who can demonstrate exceptional writing skills, resourcefulness, and the ability to prioritize tasks. Experience using Cision and Title Management is a plus.
Trade Marketing Intern
The Trade Marketing Intern will work closely with the children’s marketing and publicity department on projects spanning trade marketing, school and library marketing, digital and social marketing, and publicity.
Tasks may include:
- planning and executing national and local media campaigns and marketing plans
- coordinating mailings
- assisting with event planning, print and social media outreach, media contact database management & market research
Preferred Skills: A strong interest in a career in publishing, attention to detail, exhibit a positive and energetic work ethic, have exceptional writing skills and be familiar with internet research, blogs, and social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook.
Children’s Editorial Intern
5 days/week, 35 hours/week
Interns working with the Children’s Editorial department at Abrams Books will receive a full apprenticeship alongside the editorial team.
Primary tasks will include:
- Reviewing submissions and writing readers reports
- Drafting rejection letters
- Assisting with creating PowerPoint slide for seasonal list launch
- Managing the slush pile
- Sorting and sending author mailing
- Shipping on behalf of the editorial team
- Competitive title and market research
- Preparing materials for meetings (printing, copying, etc.)
- Taking minutes at our weekly Editorial Meeting
- Additional administrative support, as needed (copying, printing, filing, shelving books, etc.)
- Additional editorial support, as needed (second reads, proofreading, etc.)
Creative Design Intern
The Creative Design Intern will provide design support to the Noterie team, the gift /stationery imprint at ABRAMS. Titles are generated from in-house ideas and are also line extensions based on the ABRAMS adult and children’s books and brands; they include a range of formats, including guided journals, sketchbooks, activity books, novelty items, stationery and gift books.
Responsibilities include reviewing proofs and making design changes and edits, formatting images, creating mock ups for presentation, preparing files for production, creative research (illustrators, fonts, inspirational reference); special projects as assigned; and general design support for the team. You will also attend production status meetings and brainstorming meetings. This is an excellent opportunity for anyone with an interest in books, stationery and paper gift products, who wants more exposure to the entrepreneurial side of publishing.
- Strong knowledge of Creative Cloud: Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Excellent typesetting skills, keen design sensibility, attention to detail
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously: to meet deadlines, work independently and collaboratively, and to follow through consistently.