Employment at ABRAMS
ABRAMS seeks talented individuals with a strong interest in book publishing. Individuals must be able to take initiative, be a team player and have excellent communications skills, both oral and written. Our professional positions range from editorial, graphic design, sales, marketing and publicity to finance and information technology.
To apply for a position at ABRAMS, please complete the employment application by clicking the following link, https://www.abramsbooks.com/apply
ABRAMS is currently seeking to fill the following positions:
Assistant Editor, Adult
SUMMARY: The Assistant Editor will provide editorial and administrative support to the Executive Editor and the Adult Editorial team. They will develop and manage a growing licensed publishing program. The successful candidate must have a serious interest in and knowledge of both pop culture and illustrated non-fiction books.
- Editorial tasks include: copyediting, proofreading, collating galleys, creating P&L’s, and requesting and managing contracts
- Draft fact sheet, catalogue, and flap copy for books
- Act as lead editor/project manager for select titles each season
- Assess proposals; assist with research and development for new projects
- Clerical tasks include: taking minutes at meetings, maintaining schedules and databases, making copies, sending packages, routing internal mail, etc.
- Work in conjunction with Publisher and Executive Editor to help identify future licensing acquisitions/partnerships, ideally developing, acquiring, or co-acquiring 2-4 titles/year
- Assist in managing and developing select licensed brands/projects, including Disney/Lucasfilm/Marvel, Warner Bros., Nickelodeon, and Hasbro, among others
- Minimum of 2-4 years editorial experience in trade book publishing and/or product
- Desire and ability to work in an environment where creativity, innovative thinking, and an excellent work ethic are highly valued
- A passion for and knowledge of pop culture is a must
- Current knowledge of the illustrated non-fiction entertainment book market, and an ability to identify opportunities
- Excellent grammar, spelling, copyediting and proofreading skills. Strong communication and writing skills
- Must be highly organized, energetic and able to juggle multiple priorities efficiently
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Ability to create and maintain simple databases.
- Bachelor’s degree
Associate Art Director
SUMMARY:The Associate Art Director will focus on the design and conceptualization of branded middle-grade series and chapter books.
- Oversee Amulet imprint with a focus on the middle-grade branded series
- Concept and design approximately 15-20 new titles per year.
- Manage Assistant Designer
- Define look and feel of branded middle grade series
- Create mood-boards for new projects providing a wide range of illustration talent to fulfill the needs of each project
- Have a strong list of illustrator contacts
- Scout, hire and art direct freelance designers.
- Work closely with editors, authors, designers and team to define the look and feel of each cover and series
- Minimum of 7-10 years of design experience in book publishing with a proven track record in the middle grade field
- Excellent organizational skills and keen attention to detail
- Experience and knowledge of series branding
- Experience working with high-profile authors
- Understanding of the commercial market and design trends of middle-grade series and commercial YA book covers
- Ability to manage multiple freelance designers and work with outside packagers
- Proficiency with current Adobe Design Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Motivated to learn, grow, research, solve problems, and work closely with team members
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with editors and other departments
- Desire to work closely within a team of other designers, editors, and production managers
Permissions Research Intern 3 days/week
The predominant task of the Permissions Research Intern will be clearing 400 image permissions for PICTURED WORLDS, a collection of illustrations from Children’s books around the word. The intern will be working in-house and performing photo research for the featured illustrators in the book. Intern will be responsible for maintaining database of permissions, tracking permission statuses, ensuring high-resolution images are delivered appropriately, and monitoring schedules.
Additional tasks may include admin support for Overlook including logging and managing submissions; sending contracts and advance payments; processing invoices; sending rejection letters for unsolicited submissions; routing materials; and checking proofs, etc.
Individual should be proficient in Word and Excel and have excellent internet research skills, with a demonstrated interest in developing their editorial skills and learning about the publishing process. Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style and foreign languages is a plus, but not required.
Design Intern, Adult 3 days/week
This is an excellent opportunity for anyone with an interest in book design, stationery and paper gift products, or someone who wants more exposure to the visually creative side of publishing. The Design Intern will provide design support to the Adult Design department which includes the following imprints: Abrams Image, Noterie, Abrams Press and Overlook Press.
Responsibilities will include:
- reviewing proofs and making design changes and edits
- formatting images
- creating mock ups for presentation
- preparing files for production
- creative research (illustrators, fonts, inspirational reference)
- general design support for the team
- Strong knowledge of Creative Cloud: Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Excellent typesetting skills, keen design sensibility, attention to detail
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously: to meet deadlines, work independently and collaboratively, and to follow through consistently