Employment at ABRAMS
ABRAMS seeks talented individuals with a strong interest in book publishing. Individuals must be able to take initiative, be a team player and have excellent communications skills, both oral and written. Our professional positions range from editorial, graphic design, sales, marketing and publicity to finance and information technology.
To apply for a position at ABRAMS, please complete the employment application by clicking the following link, https://www.abramsbooks.com/apply/
ABRAMS is currently seeking to fill the following positions:
Executive Editor, Licensing and Entertainment – Children’s Books
Develop and manage growing licensed publishing program across all children’s imprints. Acquire and edit approximately 15 projects per year.
- Work in conjunction with Publisher and Associate Publisher to identify future acquisitions/partnerships and develop long-term licensing growth strategy
- Acquire and edit approximately 15 projects per year including original fiction and series (chapter books, middle-grade, YA), graphic novels, and in-depth, highly-illustrated non-fiction
- Develop select brands/projects as well as manage and advise editors working on licensing projects across imprints
- Help direct and manage editorial relationship with key licensing partners such as Lucasfilm, Marvel, Hasbro, and Warner Brothers; liaise with Adult, Calendar and Noterie divisions as
- Co-supervise Editorial Assistant
- Develop, nurture, and maintain new and existing relationships with authors, artists, agents, and industry professionals
- Attend key trade and consumer conferences as needed
Skills / Experience
- A passion for pop culture and children’s entertainment a must; ability to acquire and edit across age-groups and categories, both fiction and non-fiction
- Current knowledge of the children’s book market, and an ability to identify opportunities
- Minimum of 7-10 years editorial experience in children’s book and/ or entertainment publishing and/or product
- Desire and ability to work collaboratively, respectfully, enthusiastically in an environment where creativity, innovative thinking, and an excellent work ethic are highly valued
- Sufficient knowledge of the manufacturing and production process for novelty
- Licensory, agent, and packager contacts a plus
Associate Art Director, ABRAMS Calendars
Collaborate with the Editorial Director of Calendars on the art direction and design of the Abrams calendar list. This is an opportunity to manage all aspects of the design process, and help craft the overall aesthetic of the list. In addition, this position will art direct book covers and interiors for the childrens’ licensing program.
- Manage, support, and drive the design process for 40-50 Abrams calendar products per year. This includes wall and desk calendars for licensed calendars, The Met calendar program, as well as Abrams originated projects.
- Will be involved in all aspects of the design process: originating designs, preparation of sample pages, laying out of full passes, cover designs, implementing corrections, prepping files for production, reviewing proofs, etc.
- Handle and track all aspects of digital asset management including: conversion of sample pages/images/spreads for iblad, ppt, catalog, trade shows, various sales feeds, etc.
- Present work at meetings to the publisher
- Assist in the hiring and art direction of in-house freelance designers
- Art direct licensed book projects from start to finish using in-house and outside designers
Skills / Experience Required:
- Minimum of 5 years design and art directorial experience in book publishing and/or product development
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills of highest importance; ability to prioritize and juggle the various moving parts of the calendar devopment process.
- Design and creative skills need to be exemplary.
- Desire and ability to work collaboratively, respectfully, communicatively, enthusiastically
- Proficiency with current Adobe Design Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Presentation skills important
- Illustrator and freelance design contacts a must
- Current knowledge of the gift market (gift stores, specialty retailers, museum shops, catalogs), and an ability to identify opportunities
- Previous work with licensors is a plus