Employment at ABRAMS
ABRAMS seeks talented individuals with a strong interest in book publishing. Individuals must be able to take initiative, be a team player and have excellent communications skills, both oral and written. Our professional positions range from editorial, graphic design, sales, marketing and publicity to finance and information technology.
To apply for a position at ABRAMS, please complete the employment application by clicking the following link, https://www.abramsbooks.com/apply
ABRAMS is currently seeking to fill the following positions:
Marketing Manager, Adult Trade
SUMMARY: ABRAMS seeks a dynamic and experience marketing manager who will oversee the marketing vision and strategy for cooking, craft, and lifestyle categories. In this role, you will develop and execute creative marketing campaigns, working closely with authors and editorial, publicity, and sales staff. You will be part of a fast paced, hardworking, creative team and play an integral role in shaping the marketing initiatives to promote our distinguished books and authors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and execute creative, title-specific campaigns for trade, consumer, library, and academic channels using traditional and new marketing methods to achieve maximum ROI
- Work with authors and brand partners to capitalize on promotional opportunities
- Oversee creation of promotional materials and advertising, working directly with Marketing Director, internal designer, and outside vendors
- Manage ABRAMS presence at select trade and consumer shows and author events
- Represent ABRAMS in meetings with prospective authors and contribute feedback on potential acquisitions
- Conduct and analyze market research
- Maintain title budgets
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 5 years of trade book publishing experience, specifically in marketing
- Experience in developing creative, impactful campaigns using traditional and new methods.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly motivated and innovative multitasker with the ability to thrive in a fast paced, deadline driven environment
- Deep knowledge of social media, email and marketing analytics; metadata and consumer facing copy
- Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, and Powerpoint is essential; TMM, InDesign, and Photoshop a plus.
Design Assistant, Children’s Books & ComicArts
SUMMARY: Assist the Art Director and Associate Art Director in supporting the entire design team with administrative duties, special requests, reprint corrections, asset management and cover feed. Reports directly to the Associate Art Director, Calendars & Licensing and assists with design of calendars and licensed children’s books.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports entire design team with administrative duties (generating contracts, managing freelancer invoices, managing TMM, organizing Design Resources folder, updating Onboarding document)
- Manages digital assets—point person for Kids and ComicArts for file requests, archival process, and manages the cover feed
- Assists with file management issues/troubleshooting
- Designs calendars and Licensed children’s books
- Manages and executes reprint corrections and departmental collateral
- 1–2 years of design experience in book publishing and/or product development, or print design
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills of highest importance; ability to prioritize and juggle the various moving parts of the Design Department
- Understanding of digital file management
- Ability to troubleshoot preflight issues/li>
- Motivated to learn, grow, research, solve problems, and work closely with team members
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with editors and other departments
- Desire to work closely within a team of other designers, editors, and production managers
- Proficiency with current Adobe Design Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Interest in children’s and licensed books
- Previous work with licensed properties is a plus
Calendar & Noterie Intern (2-3 days/week)
SUMMARY: This position provides administrative and editorial support to the gift /stationery and calendar imprints at ABRAMS. Titles are generated from in-house ideas and are also line extensions based on the ABRAMS adult and children’s books and brands; they include a range of formats, including wall calendars, desk calendars, engagement calendars, guided journals, sketchbooks, activity books, novelty items, and gift books.
Responsibilities include competitive title research (i.e. market research); drafting descriptive copy for catalogs, fact sheets, and online feeds; assisting with the author/licensor approval process; special projects as assigned; and general administrative support for the team. You will also attend editorial board meetings, production status meetings, and brainstorming meetings. This is an excellent opportunity for anyone with a wide range of category interests, who wants more exposure to the entrepreneurial side of publishing.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel; Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Acrobat; and general management of digital images
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, keen visual and editorial sensibility
- Strong copyediting/proofreading skills (experience in this area is a requirement)
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, to meet deadlines, to work independently and collaboratively, and to follow through consistently
- Experience researching images is a plus
Children’s Editorial Intern (5 days per week)
SUMMARY: The Children’s Editorial intern will work with the children’s editorial, managing editorial, and design departments to receive apprenticeship alongside the children’s team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reviewing submissions and writing readers reports
- Drafting rejection letters
- Assisting with creating PowerPoint slide for seasonal list launch
- Managing the slush pile
- Sorting and sending author mailing
- Shipping on behalf of the editorial, managing editorial, and design team
- Competitive title and market research
- Preparing materials for meetings (printing, copying, etc.)
- Taking minutes at our weekly Editorial Meeting and Cover Meeting
- Additional administrative support, as needed (copying, printing, filing, shelving books, etc.)
- Additional support, as needed (second reads, proofreading, etc.)