Writing Sci-Fi and Fantasy (Lit Starts)
A Book of Writing Prompts
- Additional formats:
- Publication Date: July 5, 2022
- Imprint: Abrams Noterie
- ISBN: 9781647009748
- Page Count: 96
- Rights: World/All
A book of writing prompts from the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto, authors of the best-selling 642 Things series
Focus on a single aspect of the craft of writing with help from the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto. Writing Sci-Fi and Fantasy starts with a foreword by author Dorothy Hearst, who offers pointers for writing speculative fiction and inventing fantastic new worlds. The rest of the book consists of prompts and space to think, providing opportunities to consider the rules that govern your imagined universe. Among other ideas, you’ll explore the various aspects of world-building by:
- writing a timeline of the history of your imagined place
- describing what the inhabitants of your world look like
- detailing transportation from city to city or planet to planet
- figuring out who’s in charge and whether or not they should be
Take to a café, on vacation, or on your morning commute and practice your creative writing a little bit at a time.
- Advice from a published writer, followed by prompts
- Part of the Lit Start series, a collection of single-subject writing prompt books by the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto
Check out the other books in this series: Writing Action, Writing Character, Writing Dialogue, Writing Humor, and Memoir.
"Good writing begins with WRITING–anything! JUST WRITE, GODAMMIT! Inside these books are 388 wildly creative, ridiculously fun ideas and prompts to get you going. Seriously, if these workbooks don't get you going, then you need to forget about writing and go open a dry-cleaning franchise."bestselling author of Stiff, Spook, Bonk, and Grunt, among others, Mary Roach —
About the author
The San Francisco Writers’ Grotto is a community of writers that was founded in 1993. It now has more than 100 members who share workspace and teach classes in downtown San Francisco. Dorothy Hearst is the author of the Wolf Chronicles trilogy, an Indie Next pick, and coauthor of the At the Heels of History chapter book series.