- Imprint: Abrams Noterie
- Publication Date: September 10, 2019
- Price: $12.99
- Trim Size: 5 1⁄4 x 8
- ISBN: 978-1-4197-3830-2
- EAN: 9781419738302
- Page Count: 96
- Format: Paperback
- Rights: World/All
A fill-in book from the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto, authors of the best-selling 642 Things series.
Focus on a single aspect of the craft of writing with help from the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto. Writing Action kicks off with a foreword by an award-winning author and journalist Bonnie Tsui, who offers pointers for creating page-turning prose. The rest of the book consists of prompts and space to write, providing opportunities to explore how both high-stakes and low-key moments can be action-packed. Among other ideas, you’ll be asked to write an account of:
- a highly competitive game of hopscotch
- an orange being peeled as if it were the last one on earth
- a car ride with an overly confident student driver
- a meal prepared by a cook who is really depressed
- the step-by-step process of opening a long-awaited piece of mail
Perfectly sized to take to a café, on vacation, or on your morning commute, this book is designed for practicing your creative writing a little bit at a time.
- Paperback with textured cover stock, flaps, and a lay-flat binding
- Advice from a published writer, followed by fill-in prompts and space to write
- Part of a collection of single-subject writing prompt books by the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto
Check out the other books in the Lit Starts series: Writing Character, Writing Dialogue, and Writing Humor
About the author
The San Francisco Writers’ Grotto is a community of writers that was founded in 1994. It now has more than 100 members who share workspace and teach classes in downtown San Francisco. Bonnie Tsui is a longtime contributor to the New York Times and the author of the award-winning American Chinatown.