A fill-in book from the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto, authors of the best-selling 642 Things series.
Focus on a single aspect of the craft of writing with help from the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto. Writing Action kicks off with a foreword by an award-winning author and journalist Bonnie Tsui, who offers pointers for creating page-turning prose. The rest of the book consists of prompts and space to write, providing opportunities to explore how both high-stakes and low-key moments can be action-packed. Among other ideas, you’ll be asked to write an account of:
- a highly competitive game of hopscotch
- an orange being peeled as if it were the last one on earth
- a car ride with an overly confident student driver
- a meal prepared by a cook who is really depressed
- the step-by-step process of opening a long-awaited piece of mail
Perfectly sized to take to a café, on vacation, or on your morning commute, this book is designed for practicing your creative writing a little bit at a time.
- Paperback with textured cover stock, flaps, and a lay-flat binding
- Advice from a published writer, followed by fill-in prompts and space to write
- Part of a collection of single-subject writing prompt books by the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto
Check out the other books in the Lit Starts series: Writing Character, Writing Dialogue, and Writing Humor
"Good writing begins with WRITING—anything! JUST WRITE, GODAMMIT! Inside these books are 388 wildly creative, ridiculously fun ideas and prompts to get you going. Seriously, if these workbooks don't get you going, then you need to forget about writing and go open a dry-cleaning franchise."bestselling author of Stiff, Spook, Bonk, and Grunt, among others, Mary Roach