The ABRAMS Amplify Award Official Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
- Eligibility in the ABRAMS Amplify Award (“Contest”) is open to writers who are at least 18 years old at the time of entry, are legal residents of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia, and have not previously had any children’s fiction or children’s nonfiction published.
- Writers who have published work in other genres (including children’s magazines or adult fiction/nonfiction) are eligible to enter. Authors of self-published books may also enter but must submit a new manuscript rather than a project/manuscript that has already been self-published.
- Only manuscripts from unagented writers will be considered, but if ABRAMS (in its sole and absolute discretion) extends an offer for publication to a winner, winner will be given time to find an agent if winner so chooses.
- Employees, officers and directors of ABRAMS, and its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, advertising and promotion agencies, manufacturers or distributors of contest materials and their immediate families (parents, children, siblings, spouse) or members of the same household (whether related or not) of such employees/officers/directors are not eligible to enter the Contest.
- Writers located outside the 50 United States or the District of Columbia are not eligible.
- Submissions may be fiction or nonfiction but must be intended for readers ranging from ages 8 to 14 (i.e., middle grade). Submissions can be in any genre—fantasy, contemporary, nonfiction, science fiction, mystery, humor, etc.—as long as they center on a child character and the child’s point of view. We are looking for manuscripts that reflect the diversity of the world around us, but we don’t expect every story to be about the character’s identity.
- Submissions should include the first 50 pages of a middle-grade manuscript (“Submitted Manuscript”), a single paragraph synopsis (“Brief Synopsis”); a detailed, one-page full plot summary of the full manuscript (“Plot Summary”); and a completed entry form (“Entry Form”) that includes your name, email address, and a brief bio, including any details you would like to share with ABRAMS from your personal background that you feel are relevant to your submission.
- Your Submitted Manuscript must be formatted in Times New Roman 12 point font and double-spaced in a text document.
- We strongly recommend that your full manuscript (“Full Manuscript”) be completed at the time of entry, though for purposes of this Contest we are only asking for the first 50 pages of the Full Manuscript. If you are a winner and would like to be considered for publication, submission of the Full Manuscript must be made within one month after receiving notification of the award.
- Your Submitted Manuscript, Brief Synopsis, Plot Summary, and Entry Form with bio shall be collectively referred to herein as the “Submissions” or each as a “Submission.”
- Limit one (1) Submission per person/email address.
- Your Submission must be written primarily in English.
- By entering, you agree that your Submission conforms to the Submission Guidelines below and that ABRAMS, in its sole discretion, may remove any Submission and disqualify you from the Contest if it believes, in its sole discretion, that your Submission fails to conform with the following Submission Guidelines:
- Your Submission must not contain material that violates or infringes any rights of any other party, including but not limited to copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or any other intellectual property rights;
- Your Submission must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; and
- Your Submission must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations of the United States or of any jurisdiction where Submission is created; and
- Your Submission must be consistent with the image and values of ABRAMS and be consistent with and satisfy the purpose of the Contest.
- By entering, you represent that: (a) you are the sole and exclusive owner of your Submission and no third parties have any rights to it; (b) your Submission is your own creation and is 100% original; and (c) your Submission will not infringe on any rights of any third parties.
- You acknowledge that other entrants may have used ideas and/or concepts in their Submissions that may be similar in idea or concept to what is included in your Submission. You understand and agree that you shall not have any claim against any other entrant or ABRAMS arising out any such similarity or be entitled to any compensation because of any such similarity.
- Submitted Manuscripts that have been submitted to other publishers, agents, or writing contests are not eligible, and Submitted Manuscripts may not be sent to other publishers, agents, mentorship contests, or writing contests while under consideration for this Contest.
- Please take care to follow the Official Rules and the Submission Guidelines, as ABRAMS cannot be responsible for Submissions that are late or otherwise fail to comply with the Official Rules and Submission Guidelines.
- Submissions will not be returned; however, entrants will retain all intellectual property rights in their Submissions.
- ABRAMS reserves the right to cancel or modify this Contest in the event an insufficient number of Submissions are received that meet the minimum judging criteria.
HOW TO ENTER / DATES FOR SUBMISSION
- To enter the Contest, complete the entry form at this link (“Site”) and upload your Submission between 5:00 pm Eastern Time (“ET”) on April 1, 2023, and 5:00 pm ET on September 1, 2023 (“Contest Period”).
- On or about February 9, 2024, a panel of five professionals, including ABRAMS editors and a published BIPOC author, will finish judging all Submissions based on the following equally-weighted judging criteria: (i) originality, (ii) strength of voice, (iii) unique and memorable characters, (iv) appeal to readers between the ages of 8-14, and (v) thought-provoking themes.
- In the event of a tie, the highest score in the originality category will determine the winner.
- ABRAMS’ decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to this Contest, including, but not limited to, interpretation and application of these Official Rules. By entering the Contest, you fully and unconditionally agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the judges, which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
Three (3) prize levels are available for the ABRAMS Amplify Award:
- 1st prize: One (1) winner will receive $5,000, editorial notes, and a one-on-one video conference meeting with an ABRAMS editor to discuss the Submission.
- 2nd prize: Two (2) winners will receive $2,500 and editorial notes on the Submission from an ABRAMS editor.
- 3rd prize: Two (2) winners will receive $1,000 and editorial notes on the Submission from an ABRAMS editor.
All winners will have an opportunity for their full Submission to be reviewed by the ABRAMS Books editorial team for a possible offer of publication. Full Submission must be made within one month after receiving notification of the award. Submissions will be selected by the judges based on the Judging Criteria listed in the Official Rules.
WHILE ALL ELIGIBLE SUBMISSIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED, AN OFFER OF PUBLICATION IS NOT GUARANTEED FOR ANY WINNERS OR ENTRIES. IF AN OFFER IS EXTENDED, IT NEED NOT BE ACCEPTED BY THE AUTHOR; AUTHORS MAY EVALUATE THE DETAILS OF AN OFFER IF/WHEN IT IS MADE.
Prizes are non-transferable. No substitutions or cash redemptions, except in the case of unavailability of any prize or part of prize, ABRAMS reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. All taxes and unspecified expenses are the responsibility of winners. Limit one (1) prize per person. ANY AND ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAXES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNERS.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE AWARD
Potential winners will be notified by email on or about February 16, 2024. ABRAMS will announce the winners on our website and in a public press release shortly after winner confirmation.
Potential winners may be required to sign and return to ABRAMS, within a timeframe to be specified, an Affidavit or Declaration of Eligibility, and Liability/Publicity release (collectively, “Affidavits/Releases”). If the prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, or if a potential winner cannot be contacted within five (5) business days of first notification attempt, fails to sign and return the Affidavits/Releases in the time specified, or rejects their prize or in the event of noncompliance with these Official Rules, such prize will be forfeited. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given.
All federal, state, and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the winners. Participation in Contest and acceptance of prize constitutes each winner’s permission for ABRAMS to use their name, address (city and state), likeness, photograph, picture, portrait, voice, biographical information and/or any statements made by each winner regarding the Contest or ABRAMS for advertising and promotional purposes without notice or additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. By participating, entrants and winners agree to release and hold harmless ABRAMS, its affiliates, partners and promotion and advertising agencies and each of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors (collectively, the “Released Entities”), from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to, or participation in Contest, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any Contest-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery. ABRAMS is not responsible if Sweepstakes cannot take place or if the prize cannot be awarded due to travel cancellations, delays or interruptions due to acts of God, acts of war, natural disasters, weather, pandemics, epidemics or acts of terrorism. Entrants who do not comply with these Official Rules, or attempt to interfere with this Contest in any way shall be disqualified. There is no purchase or sales presentation required to participate. A purchase does not increase odds of winning.
Void outside of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, and where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. All entrants must have a valid email address. No automated entry devices and/or programs permitted. Released Entities are not responsible for lost, late, illegible, stolen, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, postage-due, misdirected, technically corrupted or garbled entries, which will be disqualified, or for problems of any kind whether mechanical, human or electronic. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by ABRAMS.
No automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. Released Entities are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, web site, Internet, or ISP availability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one’s ability to enter the Contest, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participating in this Contest or downloading any materials in this Contest. ABRAMS reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend this Contest should (in its sole discretion) virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, epidemics, pandemics or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Contest. In such case, ABRAMS will select the winners from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by ABRAMS. ABRAMS reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or web site. ABRAMS may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices (including the use of automated quick entry programs) or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or ABRAMS representatives.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, ABRAMS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
INDEPENDENTLY DEVELOPED SUBMISSIONS
You understand and agree that ABRAMS’ use of independently developed material similar to or identical with a Submission or containing features or elements similar to or identical with those contained in a Submission will not obligate ABRAMS to negotiate with you, nor will it entitle you to any compensation of any kind. You agree and acknowledge that nothing herein shall preclude ABRAMS from using any material in or similar to a Submission without obligation to you, including, but not limited to, if ABRAMS has or has determined that it has an independent legal right to use such other material, including without limitation, because such features or elements were not new or novel, or were not originated by you, or were or may hereafter be independently created by or submitted to ABRAMS.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY; DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
IN NO EVENT WILL THE RELEASED ENTITIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND/OR USE OF THE SITE, OR AS A RESULT OF DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM ANY WEBSITES ASSOCIATED WITH THE CONTEST. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, THIS CONTEST AND ALL PRIZES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
DISPUTES; GOVERNING LAW
The parties waive all rights to trial in any action or proceeding instituted in connection with these Official Rules, including, without limitation, the Contest. Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to these Official Rules and/or the Contest shall be settled by binding arbitration in accordance with the commercial arbitration rules of the American Arbitration Association. Any such controversy or claim shall be arbitrated on an individual basis, and shall not be consolidated in any arbitration with any claim or controversy of any other party. The arbitration shall be conducted in the State of New York, City of New York.
THESE OFFICIAL RULES AND THE INTERPRETATION OF ITS TERMS SHALL BE GOVERNED BY AND CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK WITHOUT REGARD TO ITS CONFLICTS OF LAWS RULES. For any matters which are not subject to arbitration as set forth in these Official Rules and/or in connection with the entering of any judgment on an arbitration award in connection with these Official Rules and/or the Contest, the parties irrevocably submit and consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the state and federal courts located in or closest to the County of New York in the State of New York. The parties agree not to raise the defense of forum non conveniens.
List of Winners: To obtain a list of winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope by February 29, 2024, to: ABRAMS Books, Attn: ABRAMS Amplify Award Committee, 195 Broadway, 9th floor, New York, New York 10007.
Sponsor: ABRAMS, 195 Broadway, New York, New York 10007.
IN THE EVENT THERE IS A DISCREPANCY OR INCONSISTENCY BETWEEN DISCLOSURES OR OTHER STATEMENTS CONTAINED IN ANY CONTEST MATERIALS AND THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE OFFICIAL RULES, THE OFFICIAL RULES SHALL CONTROL.
For more information, please click this link to read the FAQ.