BBQ&A Contest Terms & Conditions
Contest may only be entered in or from the 50 United States (excluding Arizona, Connecticut, Maryland and North Dakota) and the District of Columbia and entries originating from any other jurisdiction are not eligible for entry. This Contest is governed exclusively by the laws of the United States. You are not authorized to participate in the Contest if you are not located within the United States.
Sponsor: Abrams, 195 Broadway, 9th Floor, New York, NY 10007.
- How to Enter. To enter the Contest, during the Contest Period (defined below), you must 1) pre-order a copy of BBQ&A with Myron Mixon from any authorized retailer and send a photo of your receipt via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and 2) post a video on Instagram or Twitter , tagging Myron Mixon (@myron.mixon on Instagram and @Lord_of_Q on Twitter), with the hashtags #BBQandA and #Contest, telling us why you deserve a private lesson from Myron Mixon in your backyard and asking a barbecue question (“Entry”). Entries will be judged based on the following equally weighted judging criteria: (a) creativity; (b) enthusiasm; and (c) entrant’s ability to convey the significance of food, specifically barbecue, on entrant’s own life. Limit one (1) entry per person, regardless of method of entry. You must be the holder of a non-private Twitter or Instagram account to enter this Contest. Incomplete Entries will be disqualified. Only entries submitted electronically in accordance with these rules will be eligible for consideration. Mechanically reproduced entries will not be accepted. Entries must comply with the Guidelines and Restrictions defined below. If you choose to enter via Twitter or Instagram using your mobile device, standard data fees may apply. You should consult your wireless service provider’s pricing plan for details. You agree to incur any and all charges demanded by your wireless carrier. You should also check your device’s features for capabilities and check the device manual for specific use instructions.
By entering, all entrants, irrevocably assign and transfer any and all rights in and to their respective Entries, to Sponsor, including without limitation, all copyrights, trademark rights and/or intellectual property rights. All Entries must be the original work of the entrants, must not have been previously published, and must not infringe upon any rights of any third parties, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, rights of privacy or rights of publicity. All entries become the sole and exclusive property of the Sponsor and receipt of entries will not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, stolen, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, misdirected, fraudulent, mutilated, stolen tampered-with, or garbled entries, which will be disqualified, or for problems of any kind whether mechanical, human or electronic. Only submissions that are fully completed and that are submitted with required information are eligible. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor.
- Start/End Dates. The Contest begins at 12:00:01 AM EST on March 15, 2019 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. EST on May 6, 2019 (“Contest Period”).
- Eligibility. The Contest is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and DC, except residents of Arizona, Connecticut, Maryland and North Dakota, who are at least 18 years of age or older as of date of entry. Employees, officers and directors of Sponsor, including Sponsor’s corporate affiliates and parent companies, and Myron Mixon and Jack’s Old South and members of the immediate families (parents, children, siblings, or spouse) or members of the same household (whether related or not) of such employees/officers/directors, are not eligible to enter. All applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. Contest offer void wherever prohibited or restricted by law. Entries received from persons residing in geographic areas in which entry is not permissible will be disqualified. Duplicate requests will constitute fraud. Theft, diversion, reproduction, transfer, sale or purchase of this offer is prohibited and constitutes fraud. Requests from clubs or organizations will not be honored. Not redeemable in any manner other than provided herein. Not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, postage due, or misdirected requests. Requests not complying with all offer requirements will not be honored. Any fraudulent submission will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
- Entry Guidelines and Content Restrictions: By entering the Contest, each entrant agrees that entrant’s Entry conforms to the Entry Guidelines and Content Restrictions as defined below (collectively, the “Guidelines and Restrictions”) and that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may remove any Entry and disqualify an entrant from the Contest if it believes, in its sole discretion, that the entrant’s Entry fails to conform to the Guidelines and Restrictions.
- The Submission must not exceed 5 minutes in length.
- The Submission must be primarily in English.
- The Entry must not contain material that violates or infringes any rights of any other party, including but not limited to copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or any other intellectual property rights;
- The Entry must not disparage Sponsor or any other person or party;
- The Entry must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
- The Entry must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- The Entry must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations of the United States or of any jurisdiction where Entry is created;
- The Entry must be consistent with the image and values of Sponsor and be consistent with and satisfy the purpose of the Contest.
Each entrant acknowledges that other entrants may have used ideas and/or concepts in their Entry that may be similar in idea or concept to what is included in entrant’s Entry. Each entrant understands and agrees that he/she shall not have any claim against any other entrant or Sponsor arising out any such similarity or be entitled to any compensation because of any such similarity.
Sponsor’s decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to this Contest, including, but not limited to, interpretation and application of these Official Rules.
- Judging/Judging Criteria. Myron Mixon (“Mr. Mixon”) will apply the judging criteria and choose the winners. All Entries will be based on the following equally-weighted judging criteria: (a) creativity; (b) enthusiasm; and (c) entrant’s ability to convey the significance of food, specifically barbecue, on entrant’s own life, whether it be heartwarming or funny. Mixon reserves the right, in his sole and absolute discretion, to disqualify any Entries that are inappropriate for any reason or do not comply with the Entry Guidelines. Due to the expected volume of entries, Entries will be read continuously during the entry time, with judging conclusions on or about May 10, 2019. By entering the Contest, entrants fully and unconditionally agree to be bound by these Rules and the decisions of Mr. Mixon, which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
- Prizes. The prizes consist of:
One (1) Grand Prize: Myron Mixon comes to your backyard to teach you BBQ on a mutually determined date. Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of Grand Prize is $2,500. Any meeting Myron Mixon with is based on his availability and subject to his terms and conditions.
One (1) First Prize: One (1) Yeti Tundra Haul cooler and signed copies of Myron Mixon’s first three books. ARV of First Prize is $467.
Two (2) Runner-Up Prizes: A 6” wide boning knife, rib skinner, and Grill Tool in a 5 pocket knife bag, one bottle of Myron Mixon’s sauce, and one jar of Myron Mixon’s rub. ARV of each Runner-Up Prize is $100.
Total ARV of all prizes combined is $3,067. All prizes are awarded “AS IS” and WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, express or implied (including without limitation any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose). Prizes are non-transferable. No substitutions or case redemptions, expect at Sponsor’s sole discretion in the event a prize is unavailable. Sponsor is not responsible if any prize cannot be awarded due to delays, or interruptions due to acts of God, acts of war, natural disasters, weather or acts of terrorism.
- Winner Selection, Notification and Acceptance. Mr. Mixon shall choose One (1) Grand-Prize winner, one (1) First Prize Winner, and Two (2) Runner-Up Prize winners, on or about May 10, 2019, from among all eligible entries submitted and received during the Contest Period. Winners will be notified on or about May 31, 2019, and may be required to sign, execute and return, where legal, an Affidavit or Declaration of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release, and/or rights transfer document within ten (10) days of prize notification. If a Twitter entrant is a potential winner, he/she will be notified by a retweet or reply to potential winner’s Submission and/or a Twitter direct message (note: in order to receive such direct message, potential winner has to (a) be following @ Lord_of_Q and (b) may have to have his/her Tweet Privacy settings “unchecked”). If an Instagram entrant is a potential winner, he/she will be notified by a direct message and/or by Sponsor posting a comment to the potential winner’s entry on the potential winner’s Instagram account. If (a) any winner fails to respond to notification within ten (10) days after notification; (b) any winner fails to execute and return the Affidavit or Declaration of Eligibility, or Liability/Publicity and rights transfer document within ten (10) days after its mailing; (c) any notification or prize is returned as undeliverable; (d) any potential winner fails to notify Sponsor and claim a prize within ten (10) days after notification that they have won is sent; or (e) any other noncompliance with these official rules, winner may be disqualified and Sponsor may at its discretion select an alternate winner from other eligible entries received before the deadline or award the winner’s prize to the first runner-up and select an alternate runner-up from other eligible entries received before the deadline. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given..
- Conditions. Any and all federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of all winners. Participation in the BBQ&A Contest and acceptance of prize constitutes each entrant’s permission for Sponsor to use his/her name, address (city and state), likeness, photograph, picture, portrait, voice, biographical information, Entry and/or any statements made by each entrant regarding the BBQ&A Contest Rules or Sponsor for advertising and promotional purposes without notice or additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. By participating, entrants and winners agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, Mr. Mixon, Instagram, Twitter, and their advertising and promotion agencies and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors (collectively, “Released Parties”), from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to, or participation in the BBQ&A Contest, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any BBQ&A Contest-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property-related cause of action. Sponsor (including its parents, affiliates and subsidiaries), is not responsible for typographical or other errors in the offer or administration of this Contest, including but not limited to: errors in the advertising, official rules, selection and announcement of the winner and distribution of the prizes.
- Additional Terms. Any attempted form of entry other than as set forth in Section 1 above is prohibited; no automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. Released Parties are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, web site, Internet, or ISP availability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one’s ability to enter the BBQ&A Contest, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participating in this BBQ&A Contest or downloading any materials in this BBQ&A Contest. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend this BBQ&A Contest should (in its sole discretion) virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the BBQ&A Contest. In such case, Sponsor may select the winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the BBQ&A Contest or web site. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the BBQ&A Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the BBQ&A Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices (including the use of automated quick entry programs) or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or Sponsor representatives.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE MYRON MIXON BBQ RULES CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
- Names of Winners. To obtain a list of winners, send a self-addressed stamped envelope after June 15, 2019 to: BBQ&A Contest, c/o Abrams Books, Marketing Department, 195 Broadway, Floor 9, New York, NY 10007.
- Governing Law. All disputes and questions regarding the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of any participant, and the Sponsor, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than New York. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. If any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these Official Rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein.
- Sponsor. The Sponsor of this Contest is Abrams, whose address is 195 Broadway, Floor 9, New York, NY, 10007. www.abramsbooks.com.
THIS PROMOTION IS IN NO WAY SPONSORED, ENDORSED OR ADMINISTERED BY, OR ASSOCIATED WITH TWITTER OR INSTAGRAM. YOU ARE PROVIDING YOUR INFORMATION TO SPONSOR AND NOT TO TWITTER OR INSTAGRAM.