THE DIARY OF A WIMPY KID ALL-STAR LIBRARIAN CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
Contest may only be entered in or from the 50 United States and the District of Columbia and entries originating from any other jurisdiction are not eligible for entry. This Contest is governed exclusively by the laws of the United States. You are not authorized to participate in the Contest if you are not located within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.
- How to Enter. To nominate a librarian (each a “Nominee”) to be a winner in The Diary of a Wimpy Kid All-Star Librarian Contest (“Contest”), each nominator (“Nominator”) must visit www.abramsbooks.com/allstarlibrarian (“Site”), read the Official Rules, complete the online entry form (including your name, phone number, and email address, and your Nominee’s name, phone number, email address and the name and address of your Nominee’s Library), and submit an original essay (“Essay”) which explains why your Nominee is an ALL-STAR librarian in your local area and is someone who is making a positive every day impact that benefits their community (“Theme”). Each Essay must be a minimum of 150 words and a maximum of 500 words.
All entry information and Essays shall be collectively referred to herein as the “Submissions” or each as a “Submission.” Submissions must comply with the Guidelines and Restrictions defined below. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or modify this Contest in the event an insufficient number of entries are received that meet the minimum judging criteria. Limit one (1) Nominee/Submission per person/per email address.
By submitting a Submission, each Nominator warrants and represents the following with respect to Nominator’s Submission: (a) Nominator is the sole and exclusive owner of the Submission; (b) the Submission will not infringe on any rights of any third parties; and (c) Nominator has permission to nominate Nominee and submit the Submission on Nominee’s behalf in accordance with these Official Rules.
Providing a Submission constitutes Nominator’s consent to grant Sponsor a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display such Submissions in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including but not limited to on any and all Internet media, including Sponsor’s web sites and properties and on social networking sites (i.e., Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, X/Twitter etc.), for any legal purpose whatsoever.
All Nominators must have a valid email address. No automated entry devices and/or programs permitted. All Submissions become the sole and exclusive property of the Sponsor and receipt of entries will not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, stolen, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, misdirected, technically corrupted or garbled entries, which will be disqualified, or for problems of any kind whether mechanical, human or electronic. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor.
- Start/End Dates. Contest begins at 9:00:00 am Eastern Time on October 31, 2023 and ends at 11:59:59 PM Eastern Time on December 31, 2023 (“Contest Period”).
- Eligibility. Nominators and Nominees must be legal residents of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia and at least 18 years of age or the age of majority in their state of residence as of date of entry. Void outside of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, and where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. Employees, officers and directors of ABRAMS (“Sponsor”), Wimpy Kid, Inc. and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, advertising and promotion agencies, manufacturers or distributors of Contest materials and their immediate families (parents, children, siblings, spouse) or members of the same household (whether related or not) of such employees/officers/directors are not eligible to enter. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
- Submission Guidelines and Content Restrictions: By entering, each Nominator agrees that his or her Submission conforms to the Submission Guidelines and Content Restrictions as defined below (collectively, the “Guidelines and Restrictions”) and that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may remove any Submission and disqualify any participant from the Contest if it believes, in its sole discretion, that the Submission fails to conform to the Guidelines and Restrictions.
- The Essay must be a minimum of 150 words and a maximum of 500 words.
- The Submission must be primarily in English.
- The Submission must not contain material that violates or infringes any rights of any other party, including but not limited to copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or any other intellectual property rights;
- The Submission must not in any disparage Sponsor or any other person or party;
- The Submission must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
- The Submission must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- The Submission must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations of the United States or of any jurisdiction where Submission is created;
- The Submission cannot promote illegal drugs or firearms (or the use of any of the foregoing), or any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous; and/or
- The Submission must be consistent with the image and values of Sponsor and be consistent with and satisfy the purpose of the Contest.
Each Nominator acknowledges that other Nominators may have used ideas and/or concepts in their Submission that may be similar in idea or concept to what is included in Nominator’s Submission. Each Nominator understands and agrees that he/she shall not have any claim against any other Nominator or Sponsor arising out any such similarity or be entitled to any compensation because of any such similarity.
- Judging Panel/Judging Criteria. On or about the week of January 29, 2024, all eligible Submissions will be judged by Sponsor and Wimpy Kid, Inc. based on which Submission presents the most compelling reason why Nominee is an All-Star Librarian in accordance with the Contest Theme. The Contest winners will be the Nominees identified in the winning Submissions and not the Nominators. Sponsor’s decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to this Contest, including, but not limited to, interpretation and application of these Official Rules. By entering the Contest, all participants (defined below) fully and unconditionally agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the judges, which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
One (1) Grand Prize: One (1) Grand Prize winner will receive a trip to New York City and two (2) Grandstand Seats to watch the 2024 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, as well as the First Prize (defined below).
Grand Prize Trip consists of a three (3) day/ two (2) night trip for two people (winner and guest) to New York, New York. Trip includes round-trip coach airfare from major gateway airport near winner’s residence and double occupancy hotel accommodations if the guest is Grand Prize winner’s child or ward and single occupancy if guest is not Grand Prize winner’s child or ward (but no more than two rooms total) at a hotel selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Taxes, meals, gratuities, travel upgrades, or any other expenses not specifically listed herein are the responsibility of Grand Prize winner. Travel and accommodations subject to availability; certain restrictions and blackout dates may apply. Grand Prize winner must travel between November 27th and November 28th 2024 unless Sponsor designates other dates or prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate (time-permitting). Grand Prize winner and guest must travel on the same itinerary and guest must sign travel release prior to ticketing. Guest must be of the age of majority unless the Grand Prize winner is guest’s parent or legal guardian. Sponsor is not liable for delays, cancellation or unforeseen events related to the flights. Grand Prize winner and guest will be solely responsible for obtaining valid identification relating to acceptance and use of the travel prize packages. If in the judgment of Sponsor, air travel is not required due to Grand Prize winner’s proximity to prize location, ground transportation will be substituted for roundtrip air travel at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor will not replace any lost, mutilated, or stolen tickets, travel vouchers or certificates. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of Grand Prize: $4,000, but actual value may vary depending on air flight fluctuations and distance between departure and destination. Grand Prize winner will not receive difference between actual and approximate retail value.
Seven (7) First Prizes: Seven (7) First Prize winners (plus the Grand Prize winner) will receive a trip to the Boston area for a weekend with Jeff Kinney including a visit to the Wimpy Kid Studio, and a donation of 50 books to their library, including one (1) set of Wimpy Kid (#1-18) / Awesome Friendly Kid (#1-3) Books signed by Jeff Kinney.
First Prize Trip will consists of a two (2) night trip for winner to the Boston, Massachusetts area during a weekend in 2024 between the dates of March 1st and December 23rd on a date to be selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Trip includes round-trip coach airfare from major gateway airport near winner’s residence and single occupancy accommodations at a hotel selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Taxes, meals, gratuities, travel upgrades, or any other expenses not specifically listed herein are the responsibility of winners. Travel and accommodations subject to availability; certain restrictions and blackout dates may apply. Winners must travel on dates specified by Sponsor or prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate (time-permitting). Sponsor is not liable for delays, cancellation or unforeseen events related to the flights. Winners will be solely responsible for obtaining valid identification relating to acceptance and use of the travel prize packages. If in the judgment of Sponsor, air travel is not required due to winner’s proximity to prize location, ground transportation will be substituted for roundtrip air travel at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor will not replace any lost, mutilated, or stolen tickets, travel vouchers or certificates. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of First Prize: $2,000, but actual value may vary depending on air flight fluctuations and distance between departure and destination. Winners will not receive difference between actual and approximate retail value.
For all prizes: Prizes are non-transferable. No substitutions or cash redemptions. In the case of unavailability of prize, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. All unspecified expenses are the responsibility of winners.
Released Entities (defined below) are not responsible if a prize listed above (“Prize”) or any part thereof is delayed, postponed or cancelled due to events outside of its reasonable control, including due to COVID 19 restrictions. If in the event the Prize or any part cannot be awarded, including as a result of epidemics, pandemics or other public health concerns, including COVID 19, the Prize may be awarded at another time or as another trip or as another prize, such as cash prize (collectively “Substitute Prize”), all as determined by Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion. If potential winner chooses not to accept the Prize or the Substitute Prize (as applicable), the Prize or Substitute Prize may be awarded to an alternate (time-permitting). As a condition of accepting the Prize or Substitute Prize (as applicable), potential winner and guest may be required to agree to comply with Sponsor’s and/or any prize supplier’s COVID safety protocols (collectively, “Sponsor’s Safety Protocols”), including, but not limited to, testing, mask wearing, social distancing and quarantining, all as applicable and as determined by Sponsor and/or prize supplier, or the Prize (or Substitute Prize, as applicable) will be forfeited. Potential inner and guest agree to execute any documents provided by Sponsor to confirm such compliance.
TAX GROSS UP PAYMENT: In addition to the prize awarded to a winner, such winner will also receive a single cash payment in the form of a corporate check which is intended to assist with any federal, state, or other tax obligations related to the prize (the “Tax Gross-Up Payment”). The amount of Tax Gross-Up Payment will be computed based upon the actual retail value of the applicable prize and assuming that the Prize winner’s combined tax rate for all federal, state, and other tax obligations related to such prize is 33%. The Tax Gross-Up Payment is intended to assist with any federal, state, or other tax obligations related to the applicable prize. The Tax Gross-Up Payment may not be sufficient to cover the winner’s entire tax liability related to winning the applicable prize. Winner may be required to provide us a W-9 form. Winner’s reportable winnings and the gross-up payment will be included on the winner’s Form 1099-MISC and will be subject to withholding. Sponsor will comply with all tax reporting requirements, including a Form 1099-MISC issued to the winner.
- Notification. On or about the week of January 28, 2024, the Nominator and Nominee of the winning Submission will be notified by email and/or phone. All potential winners may be required to sign and return, where legal, an Affidavit or Declaration of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and/or rights transfer document within five (5) days of prize notification. If any potential winner is considered a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, Affidavit or Declaration of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity must be signed by his/her parent or legal guardian. If potential winner cannot be contacted within five (5) calendar days of first notification attempt, if any prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, if potential winner rejects his/her prize or in the event of noncompliance with these Contest rules and requirements, such prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to the Submission with the next highest score (time-permitting). Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to conduct background checks on potential winners. Entrants must provide authorization and/or complete any forms reasonably required to facilitate such background check. Failure to comply with this requirement and/or assist Sponsor to conduct such background check may result in disqualification of a potential winner and may result in selection of an alternate winner (time permitting). Sponsor also reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to disqualify a potential winner based on the results of such background check, if the Sponsor determines, in its sole and absolute discretion that allowing that individual to participate in the Contest or awarding them a prize might reflect negatively on the Contest, Sponsor, and/or the Released Entities. Factors that may result in disqualification of a potential winner, include, without limitation, conviction of a felony or misdemeanor, or any other criminal or civil offense as determined in the sole and absolute discretion of the Sponsor or, if Sponsor determines, in its sole and absolute discretion, that awarding a prize to such individual may reflect unfavorably on the Contest, Sponsor, and/or the Released Entities.
- Conditions. Submissions may be cut, edited, reformatted, rearranged, combined with other materials and/or otherwise modified, in Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. Any and all federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the winners. Participation in Contest and/or acceptance of prize constitutes each winner’s permission for Sponsor to use his/her name, address (city and state), likeness, photograph, picture, portrait, voice, biographical information, Submission and/or any statements made by each winner regarding the Contest or Sponsor for advertising and promotional purposes without notice or additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. By participating, Nominators, Nominees and winners (collectively, “participants”) agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, Wimpy Kid, Inc. and their advertising and promotion agencies and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors (collectively, “Released Entities”), from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to, or participation in Contest, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any Contest-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property-related cause of action. Participants who do not comply with these Official Rules, or attempt to interfere with this Contest in any way shall be disqualified. Sponsor is not responsible if Contest cannot take place or if prize cannot be awarded due to travel cancellations, delays or interruptions due to acts of God, acts of war, natural disasters, epidemics, pandemics, weather or acts of terrorism.
- Additional Terms. Any attempted form of entry other than as set forth in Section 1 above is prohibited; no automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. Released Entities are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, web site, Internet, or ISP availability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one’s ability to enter the Contest, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participating in this Contest or downloading any materials in this Contest. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend this Contest should (in its sole discretion) virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, epidemics, pandemics or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Contest. In such case, Sponsor will select the winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or web site. Sponsor may prohibit a participant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said Nominator is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices (including the use of automated quick entry programs) or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other Nominators or Sponsor representatives.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN NOMINATOR TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
In the event of a dispute as to any Submission, the authorized account holder of the email address used to register will be deemed to be the Nominator and must comply with these Official Rules. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Each Nominator may be required to show proof of being an authorized account holder.
- Limitation of Liability; Disclaimer of Warranties. IN NO EVENT WILL THE RELEASED ENTITIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SITE AND/OR FROM DOWNLOADING AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM ANY WEBSITES ASSOCIATED WITH THE CONTEST. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, THIS CONTEST AND ALL PRIZES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
- Disputes; Governing Law. The parties waive all rights to trial in any action or proceeding instituted in connection with these Official Rules, including, without limitation, the Contest. Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to these Official Rules and/or the Contest shall be settled by binding arbitration in accordance with the commercial arbitration rules of the American Arbitration Association. Any such controversy or claim shall be arbitrated on an individual basis, and shall not be consolidated in any arbitration with any claim or controversy of any other party. The arbitration shall be conducted in the State of New York, City of New York.
THESE OFFICIAL RULES AND THE INTERPRETATION OF ITS TERMS SHALL BE GOVERNED BY AND CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK WITHOUT REGARD TO ITS CONFLICTS OF LAWS RULES. For any matters which are not subject to arbitration as set forth in these Official Rules and/or in connection with the entering of any judgment on an arbitration award in connection with these Official Rules and/or the Contest, the parties irrevocably submit and consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the state and federal courts located in or closest to the County of New York in the State of New York. The parties agree not to raise the defense of forum non conveniens.
- List of Winners. To obtain a list of winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope by February 28, 2024 to: Winner’s List Request for THE DIARY OF A WIMPY KID ALL-STAR LIBRARIAN CONTEST, ABRAMS, 195 Broadway, New York, New York 10007.
- Sponsor. ABRAMS, 195 Broadway, New York, New York 10007.